Sunday, January 29, 2006

Chaos at the Crockfords!


Breakfast at the Crockfords
Originally uploaded by Krista 1366.
What does one do to pass the time during a very cold wet weekend? Invite your children's friends to the house for a sleepover!!! Sarah and Anna had a grand time this weekend with their good friends, Virginia and Valentina. The girls spent Saturday afternoon going from one room to the next leaving disaster behind them while I tried to keep the noise and mess to a minimum. Three screaming eleven year olds and one crazy 10 year old! Chaos reigned. Not even a film could keep them quiet and still for long. Fine with us. Their choice of movie? GREASE! It is bad enough watching John Travolta and Olivia Newton John speaking in their native tongue, torture dubbed into Italian. At least the songs were in the original format, I just hope the Italian kids couldn't understand the lyrics! Go greased lighting....

The little hellions finally fell asleep shortly after midnight only to wake up this morning at 7 am! Thank god for the Cartoon Network, yes we have that here as well as Disney, Sam and I slept in. We finally rolled out of our warm bed at 9:30 because the natives were growing restless with hunger! The kids requested a pancake breakfast complete with maple syrup. I modified the menu a bit for the Italian contingent. Instead I made crepes and offered the choice of Nutella to go with them. Nutella is a chocolate/hazelnut spread - the Italian equivalent of Skippy. Nutella is a food most Italian kids grown up eating and secretly yearn for into adulthood, just like we Americans and our beloved Skippy Peanut Butter. Both are comfort foods with suspect nutritional merit but uniquely part of our history and culture.

Valentina's mom collected her daughter at 12 and Virginia just left. Ahh... peace and quiet reigns! The girls have picked up their rooms and now are decompressing. Anna is working at her new 3,000 piece puzzle and Sarah is playing her violin. Sam is writing a report for a risk management survey he did yesterday aboard a 110 foot sailboat. Lucky him, he escaped the zoo and went to Genoa to sit on a yacht and got paid for it. Ahhh, he has the life these days. Me, I am blogging and thinking about what I should make for lunch. I thinking of something easy, like say, Pasta pomodoro!

To update you on the weather... If you remember on one of my previous posts I mentioned that it can start to rain and not stop for a week. Well, it started to rain Thursday, it turned to snow, then back to rain. It has yet to stop and the forecast is for more of the same tomorrow! Argh! You should see my pile of laundry. Rain here means I cannot get it done. My washing machine is on my terrace which is outside and I have no dryer. I hang my laundry off the terrace to dry! Now, that is another complete blog entry! Laundry in Italy! Think I will save that idea for another day. I have to go get lunch ready, Sam is looking at me with those hungry eyes...

Ciao for now!

Krista

No comments: