Thursday, January 08, 2009

Much ado about nothing...


The big storm yesterday gave way to overnight warm temperatures and melting snow. Sarah easily found her way to school this morning and sent this photo taken at Stazione Brignole of the train tracks. All that snow was, in the end, much to do about nothing. As I said to my intrepid young lady this morning as she headed out the door, "Make sure to let all your friends at school, especially those in walking distance, know that you made it to school all the way from Chiavari and 30 minutes early to boot." 

Otherwise, Sam up at 5:30 am and was off to Milan working, having meetings and doing whatever it is he does to earn a living, Sarah left the house by 7 am and Anna soon after. Did I mention that the silence was deafening at 8? Serendipity. A home all to yourself with nothing to do - after you pick up the mess left in the wake of an early departure and make the beds - other than what you want. I took this glorious pause in my leading role as housewife to work on a quilt. Before the holidays, I took out my very frustrating American sewing machine and started to sew again. Now that my "guest" room is free of guests until the end of the year, that is unless someone decides to take her spring fling in Chiavari,  I have taken it over and turned it into my sanctuary. Only thing is. I HATE my damn machine and I waste more time pulling stitches than actually sewing ones. There is something about converting the current from 110v to 220v that makes the machine goes at one speed and causes it to constantly jam. I should have bought I new one years ago when I first moved here, but, if it took me 2 years to purchase a TV and 3 to finally get my own car, which incidentally were the only 3 years since my 18th birthday that I didn't own car, I suppose that 8 years to finally break down and pay the money for a new sewing machine is quite reasonable when you but it in perspective. 

Sarah just walked in the door direct from Genoa and has announced she is going jogging, Anna has been doing homework on and off all afternoon with short break to cruise the "carugio" with a friend, dare I say, this day has been near perfect. Sam is even coming home late and skipping dinner with us. Praise the lord! We are having crepes for dinner!

Krista
 

No comments: