Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Rientro


Back to school! With rain and a howling wind, Sarah set off for school this morning, thankfully, Sam got out of bed at an ungodly hour to drive her. Why? Because it is SNOWING in Genoa. At the moment they are parked by the school in a bar having a hot chocolate because they don't even know if the school is open. Who knew? Here in the "costa del sol" also known as Chiavari, it is only cold and rainy, not one flake of snow, meanwhile a 30 kilometers away in the big city, it is snowing. 

Apparently, to those who watch the local news or read the local paper - not me - all of northern and central Italy is "sotto gelo", in a deep freeze, along with the rest of Europe. Who knew? Yesterday I was too busy cooking dinner for 12 to take any notice of the weather other than it was cold and wet. My dinner was scrumptious, I even baked fresh rolls, but I digress. So, now I have the "Primocanale" on the TV listening for school and road closings....1010 WINS Radio it is not, the video just in and guess what... School is CLOSED! Better phone Sam and tell them to come home. As soon as they get back, I will post photos of the city under snow! The one I posted was taken yesterday - the Epiphany - in Milan. 

Genoa is a great city in so many ways, but it is not prepared for snow, when it does fall, chaos reigns. I wish they took Sam's big car with the snow tires and not my mini - for which we don't even own chains! 


No comments: