Friday, June 05, 2009

A Cat's Life

 
Time switch gears here and to talk about the other child in my life.... Gucci, cat who thinks she is human. A misanthropic one at that. If you have ever tried to pet her, you know what I mean. Reach for her and she will scratch you. Call her and she will give you ol' one eye and slink away. Search for her and she will hiding, either, sleeping in my spare bed, safely tucked under the covers or deep in a closet beneath all of the clean clothes. Other than when she is begging for food, Gucci is invisible and unlovable. House guests? Company for dinner? The cat simply is nowhere to be found. If you do stumble upon her, she will hiss and spit if you try try to make nice. I sometimes wonder why I have a cat. Warm and friendly she is not.

But, this spring has brought Gucci (and me) some new entertainment and reason to come out of the closet. 

Pigeons!  
                                       
My usual aloof cat has become a fearless stalker of prey!


 
These flying rats swoop down every morning and try to nest on the office terrace. Actually, they might be sleeping in they empty flower boxes all night... Who knows? This morning, I finally was able to take some photos of the pigeons and Gucci in action before the birds flew away.
 
We, that is Gucci and I, have been fighting a losing war to rid my terraces of these vermin. Problem is, the pigeons are not afraid! They have figured us out and know how far they need to walk/fly to stay out of the Gucci's reach and return when I am not looking! And, now that the things are so bold, they are nesting in the empty flower boxes. Well, after today, they won't find those anymore...  I am off to the nursery to buy new geraniums. That should take care of that. My new war? That will be with Sam and getting him to remember to water the plants while I am in New York. I know, who am I kidding? I am going to return in August to dead plants and baby pigeons nesting in the boxes! 

The annual June count down has begun. 

One week left of school, two weeks final exams.... 

Drumroll please -  only 21 days until our departure for New York! 

Ready or not Dad, here we come!

 


Posted by Picasa

No comments: