Thursday, August 25, 2005

Life's a Beach


Sam and Anna at Jones Beach
Originally uploaded by Krista 1366.
What else does one do when they are on Long Island? We go to the beach! Sarah, Anna, and my self spent many a day at Jones Beach while we were in New York and were so happy when Sam finally joined us. This year the girls finally grew the courage to surf the waves. They were in and out, over and under, swimming away. No fear at all. The days of sand castles are long behind. The only one who had any fear was me watching the girls swim. I know that treacherous undertow of the Atlantic, having been knocked over and dragged out by the waves a few times in my day.

I have to admit. It is truly wonderful to share a part of your childhood with your children. And for me, Jones Beach and the other local beaches on Long Island were where I spent my childhood summers. I even took the kids to the shack where we used to get soft serve ice cream on the way home, Marvel, it is a Long Island institution. Imagine, it is still there and even more popular. Though these days they no longer sell hot dogs and fries....only soft serve ice cream and frozen yogurt, fat free and sugar free. My how times change. Yet, still, they don't.

Go here to learn more about Jones Beach.

Krista

No comments: