Friday, February 17, 2006

Bird Flu Mania!


Swan Lake
Originally uploaded by Krista 1366.
Ok. Yesterday was a slow day here in Chiavari. The rain was pouring down, it was dreary, and I was glued to the TV watching the Olympics. Lets call it the post birthday blues. Watching those young fit athletes compete at the top of their game made me feel a bit fat and lazy. I did remind myself that I have commited myself to the gym twice a week, though, sitting on the couch yesterday won't get me anywhere.

Anyway, back to the point of this post.

Dead swans with the deadly Avian virus have been found in Italy!

In Italy, the five infected wild swans were detected on the eastern coast of Sicily, in Taranto and in Calabria. The confirmatory tests were carried out by the Italian national laboratory for avian influenza in Padua, an accredited EU laboratory and also the reference laboratory of the Food and Agriculture Organization and the World Animal Health Organization, following preliminary positive tests undertaken by laboratories in Palermo, Portici and Foggia.


Who wants to eat chicken now? According to the press, no one. Poultry sales are way down all over Europe. Even at my local butcher, who always has the finest chicken, there is none to be found.

A presto!

Krista

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my! we all think twice about eating chicken. Too bad it hit that close. And to Swans. They are too pretty. Sitting on the couch watching the olympics is something a lot of us do. While saying...I really aught to go for a walk....

Edward said...

I thought you could only catch the virus if a chicken sneezes on you (he says, digging into his bucket of KFC)...