Tuesday, February 14, 2006

A Birthday To Remember


40 Years New, Not Old!
Originally uploaded by Krista 1366.
What can I say? I have had a truly fantastic birthday! The party started on Sunday and ended last night. Though Sam was nursing the flu, he showed his British fortitude and kept a stiff upper lip. He never for a moment let the flu get him down.

The festivities wound down last night when Sam, Sarah and Anna helped me open my gifts from them. Sam popped the Champagne, a gift from Silvia Lewis, and I dug into the lovely cake made of sand sitting on the table in front of me. Why sand you ask? Well, Sam really wanted to take us to a tropical beach for my birthday. If he couldn't bring us to the beach, he certainly could bring the beach to me. And he did. Then he buried all of my presents in the sand! Remember the sand part, it is important.

First, Sarah read to me a poem she wrote in honor of my 40th birthday. It was so beautiful and profound that it brought a tear to my eye. I am so proud of her, let me share it with all of you:

Color my world,
mom,
with the colors of your love,
Keep next to you all of us
in fear-
or in peace
because if you weren't here
where would we go
or what would we do?

Color our world
mother and wife,
with the colors of your hope
Keep us from stumbling
when we're tired
and wounded
because if you weren't careful
nobody would be
and we would fall to pieces

Color the world
woman
with the colors of liberty
Keep all of us from being prisoners
of others
of our own beliefs
because we love you!

Sarah Crockford Age 11

Then she went on to write this on the next page.

"How many years have gone by, yet it seems yesterday that we moved to Italy and you were celebrating your 35th birthday. So it has been 6 years, and in these 6 years so many things have changed, what could've seemed difficulties are now everyday things. But what ever age you'll have, for me you are still a 'raggazina' "


Ok. Fair enough to say, that I cried. Who is this kid? I cannot believe she is mine. What gift could a mother want other than her child's love and for that child to show it is such a meaningful way? Simply overwhelming.

So, onto the rest of the pressies. I got from Anna, my little techie, a new ipod! 60 gb and with a color screen. Very nice. Considering my old ipod just died, this was a very welcome gift. I already have uploaded my complete music library to the thing and I am ready to rock and roll!

Sam, he was my other star, he decorated me with jewelry. In that sand I found diamonds!!! Yes, I got a new diamond ring with earrings to match. Click here and go to my homepage to see more.

Last but not least, remember the sand.... Sam gave all of us a wonderful surprise. He is taking us to the Bahamas for Easter! Yippee! Our friends Pippa and Peter have invited us to spend Easter with them on their private island and to continue the birthday celebrations, see, Pippa and I both turned 40 this year! Sarah and Anna were bouncing with joy, Easter in the Bahamas on a private island.... Seems like a dream! Pinch me I think I need to wake up!

Needless to say, I am completely overwhelmed by my wonderful family and Sam's infinite generosity!

Thank you too, all of you that have stopped on by and said hello and wished me a happy birthday. You all really helped to made it a special day for me and a birthday that I will always cherish.

Grazie Mille!

Krista

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW. Sarah is talented! Anna sweet and Sam..well what can we say?
Sure you'll have a great time in the Bahamas.

Krista said...

Patsy and Sharon,

Thank you for your support and keep on stopping by.

And what is it about our family and Apple Pies?

Anonymous said...

Happy Belated Birthday Krista!!Finally had a quiet moment this morning to catch up on your blog. Wow! Sounds like you had a lovely Birthday! I read out loud the part about the sand, the diamonds and the trip to the Bahamas--I told Basil he's got his work cut out for him as my 43 BD is just around the corner! Thanks Sam for putting on the peer pressure! :-) Krista, I love your hair cut--you look beautiful and so does your family. We still hope to visit you in Italy someday. I'd love to have a chat and capuccino with you! (but I'll never play Trivia with you again!). I am off to Kona on business soon, and hubby and kids will join me later in Maui for a week of R&R at a relative's condo. Keep on blogging. We miss you tons.