Saturday, February 11, 2006

Meet the Peasants!


Honey for the Money!
Originally uploaded by Krista 1366.
Yes, this is the image you all have of Italy, isn't it? Fashion, speed, and beauty! Not.

Welcome to the real Italy!

This lovely couple have been selling their homemade honey in our local market for only a couple of weeks. I took notice, but, hey, honey is honey right? This morning Anna and I were on our way home and took a pass through the outdoor market. Which, by the way, is a Monday through Friday thing held in a beautiful piazza and I shop there almost everyday. I thought, right I forgot to buy honey on my last trip to the "ipercoop", lets get some. How could your resist these two? I walked up and before I could even ask for the honey, I got a the lowdown on their operations in Valle dell'Aveto, (which is high above Chiavari) how they only sell to their personal clients (which they have had for years), and that this was a bumper year for honey in the valley and they had so much they came to Chiavari to unload it. Apparently they have been a hit. They sold 45 kilos to just one customer. Ok. I really didn't need the sales pitch, remember, I needed honey anyway, but, the sell worked, I walked away with two huge jars of honey!

Sam has been a bit off the last few days with a sore throat and cough. To sooth his throat, this afternoon I made him some camomile tea and served it with the new honey. Let me tell you. Honey is not just honey. This was the best honey either of us have ever tasted! We couldn't keep our spoons out of the jar!

At the moment we are watching the Olympics, pairs figure skating... and it is nice to see it live. We watched the Swedish ladies cream the Russia ladies on the ice. Who knew women played ice hockey? I hope that you were able to catch some of the opening ceremonies, they were great. Very stylish and a bit campy. Just what you expect from Italians. And..... Amazing to see that for the last leg of the torch relay, a women, Stefania Belmono an Italian cross country gold medalist, carried the flame and lit the fire, la Bomba, Alberto Tomba only got to carry the torch into the stadium! La Forza delle Donne! By the way, I also hope you got to see Sophia Loren, she looks marvelous! What an inspiration to us aging ladies...

Countdown to the big 40, 2 days!

Divertiti!

Krista

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Howdy!
Yes, I caught the taped delayed version of the opening festivities and Sophia looked great.
I'm watching but mostly listening to the US ladies hockey team cream the Swiss. Most of the Swiss ladies went to US and Canadien colleges to play hockey. I look forward to the tape delayed, showing only certain pair skaters tonight. Along with various winter events thrown in. The norm.

Krista said...

Ah... The tape delay of the US versus Switzerland is on Eurosport in a bit.... Do the Yankees really win?

Anonymous said...

Yeah they do. Even though they were called for any number of penalties. The Swiss had their chances. I've been complaining to the cable company because the Canadien game is supposed to be on now, but it's showing those half hour commercials. grrrr No satisfaction though.